Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Classic and Cocktails..."The Bell Jar" Cocktail

If you haven't been joining us for 12 for 2012, then you should.  If you have, then you know all about the "Classics and Cocktails" campaign that my cousin Amy has started.  She is the President of Literature while I am the Vice President of Cocktails.  It's a hard job, but somebody has to come up with themed drinks for 100 year old books.

While many of you might have already finished the book for March, "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath, I have been busy testing and trying the drinks that will fit the mood of the book.  While I haven't read the book yet, I will tell you that I think I've found success for your book matching drink.  It took many stumbling nights home to find it, but I think I've got it.  Let me tell you, drink enough and you might go crazy.

If you had a good time reading "The Beautiful and The Damned," then you might have some gin leftover in your bathtub.  If not, then it's time to hit the local liquor store.  You're gonna need more gin, I can tell you that.  This drink also includes Luxardo Maraschino, Peychaud's Bitters, muddled maraschino cherries and some lemon.  I can guarantee this, when this lovely year of reading is over, not only will your bookcase be stocked, but so will you liquor cabinet.  Some of this you won't drink again until you're about 60.  Mostly, because some of these products are for old people drinks.  Also, some of them can be used for "sophisticated cocktails," for when you feel like snubbing your nose and being all hoighty-toighty.

Courtesy of my friend Andy at Soul Gastrolounge in Charlotte, NC, this is the U Soul Crazy.

2 oz of Tanqueray Gin
1/4 oz of Luxardo Maraschino
1 Dash of Peychaud's Bitters
5 Maraschino Cherries
2 Lemon wedges

Put a cocktail shaker in ice and chill it.  Take out the shaker and then add the Maraschino cherries, 1 dash of bitters, and 1 lemon wedge and muddle in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.  Then add the gin and the luxardo and a scoop of ice.  Shake and strain into a martini glass.  Add the extra lemon wedge as garnish.  It might take a moment for the flavor to get to you.  If you feel brave, or a little extra crazy, then make with two dashes of bitters.  Here's a picture of the end result.  Hope you enjoy.  See you in the psycho ward soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment