Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent, Lent, Lent...

As today is Ash Wednesday, I guess it should be right of me to decide to give something up for Lent.  I'm about as Catholic as the Pope is Episcopalian.  I go to church on Sunday's just as many times as any good Jew goes to Sunday service.  Yeah, I'm that dedicated.  Religion is personal and when I go, I go for me.  That's all there is to it.

That being said, I do every year try to honor Lent with some sort of sacrifice.  So this is "Lent 2012: The Pinnacle of Penance."

1.  I'm giving up my ATM card.  Not that my finances are bad and I do a good job of not using my card, but I need to tighten up.  So, no card in the wallet.  While that is hard to do because of driving, it's easy because I can't really drive anywhere. (check the first blog for explanation)  Plus, it will make me focus on what the hell I'm buying and not buying.

2.  I'm setting my alarm everyday for 8am and being in the gym at 9 am.  Lent is like a short term New Year's resolution that you get to try out for 40 days and then stop if you want to.  I already go to the gym, but I need to go earlier.  This would give me more time to clean the house, read my books, "borrow" more music, and such.

3. I'm giving up reading "The Beautiful and The Damned" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  Okay, after I finish the last 240 pages left.  This is all part of my cousin Amy's book challenge 12 for 2012 - Classics and Cocktails.  Amy brings the titles, you bring the books, and I bring the drinks.

My Mom always said that Lent doesn't have to always be about giving something up as sacrifice, but you can always take on something challenging to help others or yourself be better as well.

Good Lenting Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment