Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Spare time filled...

During the last few months, I've been reading "great" classic literature that "everyone" must read in their life time.  Work that stands the test of time and makes us better people for having read it.  When I'm not punching myself in the face with these works, I read a variety of other books.  So in the last 3 months this is what I've read.

1) "The Genius in the Design - Bernini, Borromini, and the Rivalry That Transformed Rome," by Jake Morrissey.



The book is wonderful.  It takes you on a journey through Rome and introduces you to all the marvels that are there now.  How these two men redefined everything there is about building buildings.  About how these two men made everything that you now love about Rome. Plus, you learn about how these guys made Rome the city that it is today.  Wonderful read.  I've also been reading other books that take place in Italy and it's nice to see how much they intertwined with each other.

2. "Galileo's Daughter - by Dava Sobel.


This is a wonderful book that is a bit boring.  You learn about the relationship that Galileo had with his daughter.  At the same time you see the hardship he goes through in dealing with the church and defending his stance on the sun being the center of the universe.  Wonderful book if you are wanting to know about Galileo without having to read all that math crap that goes with it.

3) "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie


I love Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot series of books.  I've read many of them and am now in the process of collecting and reading them all.  I have not solved any of them yet, but I've gotten close.  This is the first book in which Poirot is introduced to the readers.  Wonderfully written with plenty of intrigue.

4) "Defining the Wind" by Scott Huler


This is a wonderful book.  It's not just a history of how wind is defined.  It's about how we all need to learn to just pay attention.  It's a journey that goes back and forth.  First you are in the present tense with the author during his research and then, bam, you're in the 1600s discovering new things at the time in which they are discovered.  I also learned so much about how the wind works, how people use it, and how the scale is so important.  If you have the chance, you should read this.  Mostly because you should read it.  Plus it comes with the wonderful line: "Nature, rightly questioned, never lies."

5) "The Murder on the Links" - by Agatha Christie



My above reasons for reading her books are repeated here.  I got close on this one, but still missed it.  Secondly, I like the escape from historical books and classic literature that her novels provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment